HOW WE USE PUPIL INFORMATION
The categories of pupil information that we collect, hold and share include:
- Personal Information (such as name, unique pupil number and address)
- Characteristics (such as ethnicity, language, nationality, country of birth and free school meal eligibility)
- Attendance Information (such as sessions attended, number of absences and absence reasons)
- Pupil information that we collect/hold and/or share might include assessment information, medical information, special education needs information, behavioural information.
Why we collect and use this information
We use the pupil data
- To support pupil learning
- To monitor and report on pupil progress
- To provide appropriate pastoral care
- To assess the quality of our services
- To comply with the law regarding data sharing
Seaview Primary School and Nursery Unit collect and use pupil information under the Data Protection Act 1998 and Education Act (Northern Ireland) 2014 which are a lawful basis for collecting and using pupil information for general purposes.
Collecting Pupil Information
Whilst the majority of pupil information you provide to use is mandatory, some of it is provided on a voluntary basis. If you have a choice as an organisation we will inform you of it.
Storing pupil data
We hold pupil data in line with guidelines from the Education Authority and the ICO.
Who we share pupil information with:
We routinely share pupil information with
- Schools that the pupil’s attend after leaving us
- The Education Authority
- The Department of Education (NI)
- Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment
- Social Services
- School Health Team (NHS)
- Education Training Inspectorate
Why we share pupil information?
We do not share information about our pupils with anyone without consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so.
We share pupils’ data with the Department for Education NI and the Education Authority on a statutory basis.
The information collected by schools is managed by the Department of Education and contains information about schools in Northern Ireland.
It is held in an electronic format for statistical purposes. This information is securely collected from a range of sources including schools.
The Department has robust processes in place to ensure the confidentiality of our data is maintained and there is stringent control in place regarding the access and use of the data.
Requesting access to your personal data
Under Data Protection, parents and pupils have the right to request access to information about them that we hold.
To make a subject access request for this data, or be given access to your child’s educational record, write to the EA Data Protection Officer.
You have the right to:
- Object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
- Prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
- Object to decision being taken by automated means
- In certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed and
- Claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using personal data, we request you raise your concern with us in the first instance.
Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office
The Information Commissioner's Office – Northern Ireland
3rd Floor 14 Cromac Place,
Telephone: 028 9027 8757 / 0303 123 1114.